After all that madness with making toast in the air fryer, I have made grilled cheese in the air fryer, and I’ll be honest, the results are too good.
The air fryer grilled cheese sandwich is just amazing, and everything about it made me question why I haven’t made this before.
The process is hands-off, and all you have to do is be there to flip the sandwich in between the cooking session.
Making grilled cheese in the air fryer is the best. You get perfectly crisp bread and nice melted cheese on the inside.
Why should you try this recipe?
1. Easy and hands-off cooking process- This is an easy-to-make grilled cheese recipe where you can use the bread
2. You do not need to fry the bread- There are so many cultures that deep fry the bread to make grilled cheese, but when you cook in the air fryer, you need one tbsp of butter per toast, and that is all. There is no need to deep fry anymore, and you still get the perfect deep-fried crunch.
3. You can make two grilled cheese sandwiches at once- If you have a large air fryer, you can make two grilled cheese sandwiches at once. I can easily make two of them at once; it saves a lot of time, and the results are delicious.
4. You can add any cheese you like- Since you are making this at home, you can add any cheese or even some pepperoni if you want to make a pizza sandwich.
This recipe shows that making sandwiches in the air fryer is super easy, and all you have to do is place the sandwiches inside and set the timer so the sandwiches cook well.
Best cheese for grilled cheese
In this post, I have used a mix of processed and fresh mozzarella cheese, but you can mix different cheeses for your grilled cheese sandwich.
The best cheese combo for a grilled cheese sandwich is Cheddar Cheese, American Cheese, and a little mozzarella cheese.
This is my favorite combo, and you can try making grilled cheese with different cheese combinations.
I used leftover processed cheese and mozzarella cheese for the recipe pictures. That is why you see the melt on the sides of my grilled cheese sandwich.
IS THERE A TYPE OF BREAD THAT’S BEST FOR A GRILLED CHEESE?
I use thick bread slices to make a grilled cheese sandwich. The minimum thickness I recommend is 1.7 cm and above. Thick bread slices make excellent grilled cheese, and I recommend getting them.
I had thick circular white bread slices, and you can even use sourdough bread as they taste amazing with all that cheese.
Thick slices of bread will do, do not go into the technicalities of ‘what kind of bread’ as it can be never-ending, but when you use thick bread, you get a good amount of bread and cheese in every bite.
This is my go-to mantra while making an excellent-tasting grilled cheese sandwich, and it should be yours too.
However, if you have a particular kind of bread that you think tastes very well in grilled cheese sandwiches, then leave your suggestions in the comments below!
– 4 slices of bread
– 2tbsp Ghee
– Mozzarella cheese + American cheese(Processed cheese)
1 Air Fryer- I use a Philips Air fryer to make a grilled cheese sandwich in this post.
1. You can use butter if you do not have ghee, but adding some butter or ghee is crucial to get the right amount of crispiness on the bread.
2. You can use any cheese you like, but it is recommended to use Cheddar+ American Cheese. However, I didn’t have cheddar at home, so I used American cheese and mozzarella, which tasted great.
How to make a grilled cheese sandwich in the air fryer?
These are the steps you need to follow to get the best-tasting grilled cheese sandwich in the air fryer.
1. Take your cheese mix and stuff it between two slices of bread. You can use any seasonings if you like, I don’t, but you can if you want to be a little adventurous.
2. Apply ghee on the outside of the two bread slices just like you would while cooking grilled cheese in a pan.
Once you apply a generous layer of ghee on both sides, put your sandwich in the air fryer.
3. Use a toothpick to hold both the slices of bread inside the air fryer since the air fryer is notorious for flying off the bread slices and swirling them around in the air fryer.
This won’t happen with a thick bread slice, but still, I recommend doing this to be on the safe side.
4. Cook the sandwiches at 350°F for 4 minutes.
Now take out the air fryer basket, flip the sandwich, and cook it for another 4 minutes until it is nicely cooked and golden brown.
Time and temperature to cook air fryer grilled cheese
So, depending on the thickness of the bread slices, your cook times will differ. The temperature can remain the same, but the cooking time differs depending on how you cook grilled cheese in the air fryer.
|Time||Temperature||Total cook Time|
|1.7 cm||4 min on each side||350 °F||8 min|
|1 cm||3 min on each side||350 °F||6 min|
|>1.7cm||4.5 min each side||350 °F||9 min|
CAN YOU REHEAT A GRILLED CHEESE IN AN AIR FRYER?
Of course, it is quite easy to reheat a grilled cheese sandwich.
To reheat a frozen grilled cheese sandwich or just a sandwich in the refrigerator set the air fryer temp to 350°F and reheat it for 4 minutes.
You can flip the sandwich and reheat too.
I usually don’t since the sandwich is cooked on both sides once; it can dry the grilled cheese sandwich if you try to reheat it for longer than 4 minutes, but you can try it if curious.
WHAT TO SERVE WITH GRILLED CHEESE?
Usually, tomato soup is the OG and goes best with a grilled cheese sandwich, but plenty of other things will go very well with a grilled cheese sandwich.
2. Caesar Salad
3. French Fries
It is safe to say that grilled cheese would go well with almost every soup and salad out there. It tastes great on its own, so go ahead and make one.
If you like the post, then share it on social media!
Air Fryer Grilled Cheese
- 1 Philips AirFryer
- 4 Slices Bread
- 1 Cup Shredded American Cheese
- 1 Cup Shredded Mozzarella
- 2 tbsp Ghee
- Take a slice of bread and top it with the cheese mix.
- Cover this bread slice(topped with cheese) with another piece of bread, making a cheese sandwich. Apply one tbsp of ghee on both sides of the sandwich bread.
- Place this sandwich in the air fryer and cook at 400 for 4 minutes. Make sure to use a toothpick to hold the top bread slice; otherwise, it can fly away in the air fryer.
- Flip the sandwich and cook the other side for another 4 minutes.
- Your grilled cheese sandwich is ready. I usually make two grilled cheese sandwiches at once in my four qt. Air fryer.
If you like the post then do not forget to share it on social media!