I love spring rolls more than anyone, so I had to try making spring rolls in the air fryer.
Sometimes spring rolls are fried, and yes, I hate them fried, I mean, there are times there is a crack in the spring roll wrapper, and the oil seeps in.
That is my biggest cooking pet peeve, and I’m glad that once I got the air fryer, I could cook spring rolls in them.
Springs rolls usually have a wrapper made of dough or rice paper. The spring rolls made with rice paper are ready to eat once you wrap them and do not need cooking.
But the ones that you make with dough do need to be cooked, and you can either bake them or fry them.
In this post, I’m going to air fry frozen spring rolls. These come out so good in the air fryer, and I have not used oil for this recipe, but if you want, you can use 1-2 pumps of oil spray, and you are good.
WHY THIS RECIPE WORKS
1. This recipe is easy to make, and it doesn’t take more than 6-7 minutes to cook spring rolls in the air fryer.
2. This is a hands-off process, and you do not need to do much except check the spring rolls once midway through cooking and flipping the spring rolls.
3. This recipe barely uses any oil, and that makes it one of my favorites.
4. Clean-up is so easy if you use parchment liners. All you have to do is take the spring rolls out of their pack, arrange the spring rolls in a single layer and then cook them in the air fryer. No mess.
1. Frozen Spring rolls
2. Oil Spray (optional)
1. Air Fryer (I’m using a Philips Air Fryer)
INGREDIENT NOTES & SUBSTITUTIONS
You can also cook homemade spring rolls the same way; just make sure that the thickness of the wrapper can be different, and if it is slightly thicker, you may have to cook it longer for 1-2 minutes.
In any case, the cooking temperature remains the same, but the time differs.
HOW TO AIR FRY FROZEN SPRING ROLLS
- Take the frozen spring rolls out of the pack and line them in the air fryer.
2. Set the Air fryer temperature to 350°F and cook the spring rolls for 6 minutes. You can check the spring rolls once after three minutes and turn them around, so they cook evenly.
If you want to cook it for longer, you can continue cooking it for an additional one or two minutes.
3. Take out your spring rolls and enjoy!
AIR FRYER SPRING ROLLS DIPPING SAUCE
I usually like hot and sweet sauce with spring rolls and if you have never made some hot and sweet sauce then it is pretty easy and you can make it within a few minutes.
I got a packet of hot and sweet sauce with my spring roll pack and it tasted good so I didn’t make my own sauce but if you want to then you can check out this recipe and make some quickly.
You can also buy this sweet chilli sauce from Amazon and it tastes pretty good with rolls.
CAN I AIR-FRY LUMPIA FROZEN?
Yes, you can air fry lumpia frozen, and you do not have to thaw it out before cooking it in the air fryer. Springs rolls are called Lumpia in Philippines, so they are the same dish.
TIPS ON COOKING SPRING ROLLS
1. Make sure that the spring rolls are spread out in a single layer on the air fryer basket and that the basket is not overcrowded. Overcrowding the basket will result in uneven cooking.
2. If you are cooking for the first time, check on your spring rolls after the first three minutes because the cooking times can vary slightly depending on the air fryer and the spring roll brands.
3. You can use an oil spray to get a crispier exterior; just one-two spray of oil is good. I never used oil on my frozen spring rolls and still love the result. So do try it without the oil and decide which way you prefer better.
4. You can preheat your air fryer if your air fryer needs it. I never preheat my air fryer, and I set the temperature to 350°F and cook my spring rolls.
I never go for 400°F as it burns the spring rolls and makes them very dry but I do see so many other bloggers recommending it, I seriously will never understand how can one air fry something as delicate as a spring roll at that temperature.
BEST BRANDS AND VARIETIES OF FROZEN SPRING ROLL
This is an all-time favorite and best-selling frozen spring roll as it is shrimp based. SeaPak’s shrimp rolls have cabbage, rice noodles, shrimp, onions, and carrots.
This is a vegetarian roll with cabbage, Onion, Vermicelli, mushrooms, and egg as the filling.
3. P.F. Chang’s Chicken Egg Rolls
This roll is a little different from the rest on the list as it has Chicken, Cabbage, Carrots, and Green Onions. But if you love chicken in your spring rolls as I do, then you have to try this one!
These egg rolls have Chicken, Cabbage, Carrots, Onion, Celery, and Green Beans. This and PF chang’s chicken rolls are highly rated.
Another popular spring rolls brand is 365 by Whole Foods. Their vegetable egg rolls have Green Cabbage, Edamame (Soybeans), Water Chestnuts, Carrots, Celery, Onion, Brown Rice, and Rolled Oats as a filling.
How long does it take to cook frozen spring rolls in the air fryer?
Spring rolls should not take more than 6 minutes at 350°F inside an Air Fryer. However, different air fryers have different heating powers, which can result in longer cooking times.
I use Philips Air Fryer, and my air fryer gets hot very quickly. Most Philips air fryers are pretty good, and they are durable.
Why are my spring rolls not cooked through?
There could be a couple of reasons why this has happened and one of them could be as follows-
1. You overcrowded the basket and the air couldn’t move around in the air fryer basket properly which caused uneven heating and hence not properly cooked spring rolls.
2. Your air fryer needs to be preheated as it does not get hot enough.
3. You did not cook it long enough, some air fryers just takes longer cooking times to cook anything to perfection. If you have such an air fryer, then it will probably take a bit longer to cook the spring rolls, so be patient.
3. Maybe you need to slightly increase the temperature to 375°F and see if you get better results. I would not recommend going for 400°F as that can burn the rolls but do as needed.
4. Maybe you are using an air fryer liner like a parchment paper or aluminum foil that blocks the air circulation and hence you may have to cook it longer.
How to Store COOKED leftover SPRING ROLLS
If you have some leftover spring rolls, then you can keep them in the refrigerator for about 2-3 days and consume them within that period.
Wrap the spring rolls in an aluminum foil and put them inside an air-tight container to ensure they stay fresh for a long time.
Anything longer than that, you should reconsider and make sure that the rolls have not gone bad. If you want them to last longer, you can freeze the leftovers.
REHEATING FROZEN SPRING ROLLS
If you have stored the spring rolls in the freezer then you can reheat them again in the air fryer at 350°F for around 3-4 minutes or longer depending on how hot and crispy you want them.
In most cases, the cooking times depend on the type of air fryer you are using, so be a little flexible about it if it is your first time cooking spring rolls.
Well, this is all about spring rolls, I hope you have fun making them in the air fryer.
If you like the post, then do share it on social media!
Air Fryer Spring Rolls
- 1 Phillips AirFryer
- 1 Pack Spring Rolls (Mine contains 6 pieces)
- Line all the Spring rolls in a single layer in your air fryer basket. Make sure not to overcrowd the basket.
- Set the air fryer temperature to 350°F and cook the spring rolls for 3 minutes. Then take out the air fryer basket, flip the rolls to ensure even cooking, and cook for another 3 minutes.
- Enjoy your Rolls.